Thursday 24 May 2012

Hospital trips and back to the GP.

I really want things to be going well, but they are not!  At the weekend I became overwhelmed and just completely exhausted by everything.  Going to the toilet remains very painful and also very difficult.  I am having real trouble emptying my pouch.  I have been feeling exhausted and generally unwell, I have been nauseous and vomited which I suspect was from the pain.  I have suspected a fissure for a while and yesterday I managed to see a colorectal surgeon who confirmed this.  He also checked to see if the last dilation had worked, which it has.  So I suppose that is good but also means that I still have problems, he mentioned pouch dysfunction but I have to speak to my team about that!  Unfortunately my team, consultant and registrar and SHO are all on leave!! which leaves no one to really help me for a week! hmm I really cried when they said that, I pleaded that they must help me and that the pain was unbearable.  As I am allergic to some painkillers and they don't want me to take codiene I was only left with paracetamol.  The doctor was not allowed to prescribe me other pain killers because of hospital policy.  So my option was to stay in hospital for a week while I wait for the team to come back, how depressing is that.  Fortunately the nurse told me the GP would be able to prescribe me a patch or oramorph.   
We got back from the hospital and I was so lucky to get an appointment with the GP.  I explained the situation to her and she was very understanding and worked out a strategy to get on top of my pain management.  This actually bought me to tears as well, because I was relieved to be getting pain relief.  She also wants to see me in two days to make sure I'm ok and to make sure I will be able to cope over the weekend.  I am very lucky to have some lovely people who are concerned and want to help me.  


So I am feeling a lot better about the situation, it feels more manageable anyway.  I have a cream to treat the fissure and pain medication to get me through it.  Last night I only needed the toilet once, which was fantastic as I had been going every three hours day and night.  After feeling very depressed and overwhelmed by this situation today I feel a lot stronger.  I keep reminding myself that God wouldn't give me anything I couldn't handle.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Laura! I am so sorry things are so rough right now. You must feel so desperate! I'm thankful that you were able to get some relief so you can be less miserable as you wait for your drs to get back in town! I pray that they will be able to figure out something so that you can have quality of life! Hang in there! One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete