Wednesday 18 April 2012

Is there light at the end of that tight tunnel ?


I went to the hospital yesterday to see my surgeon.  I was happy to see him and explain all the problems I had been having, fissures, abscesses and a lot of pain.  The nurse started to tell me how to lie down for the examination, but I told her I knew the drill.  He gave me an internal examination and subsequently dilatation of my pouch.  It was very unpleasant and I breathed through the pain like I was about to have a baby.  So it is not surprising I have had difficulty emptying my pouch...ouch!  Since the dilatation it has been a lot easier and less painful.  I have another appointment in a few weeks time and will probably have more dilation.  This is a common problem and often occurs because healing of the pouch to the anus often scars and becomes tight so to help this problem it requires stretching.  


I have finished my course of antibiotics and the lumps (absesses) have nearly gone, I have one left which is still really sore but I'm getting there.  I have been feeling a lot happier the last few days and I am feeling more confident things will work out ok.  I'm slowly adjusting.  


My wound has healed now, which makes me really happy.  I had my first shower today without a plaster on.  Its great to finally have a stoma bag and plaster free belly.  


Keep strong and keep positive, life with an IBD is hard but remember you are more than your disease.  x



No comments:

Post a Comment