Sunday 8 April 2012

Back Home after 2 days!

I had my Take-down surgery on a Monday and went home on Wednesday morning.  The surgery went well, with no complications.  I woke up in the recovery room feeling a bit sore and drowsy, I didn't have a catheter and I also had no PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) pump, so asked for some more pain relief.  The nurse looked at the wound, and it was so bizarre not having a stoma and a bag on.  I remember telling the nurse, that's it I'm done with surgery, NO more I said hmmm apart from a C-Section and I want twins, two babies, one pregnancy, job done!! We did laugh.  I was so excited the morning of my surgery, I was very happy.  My first poo put paid to that!  I was back on the ward very quickly and was drinking fortisip and water and also got out of bed so I could have a wee.  My stomach and all along my right hand side was very sore, it felt a very deep muscular pain, not surprising really.  A few hours later I had a little walk to the bathroom.  The nurses were all impressed with my speedy recovery, and I did well.  The first night after surgery that morning I had my first bowel movement!  Eeek there wasn't much, but it was very runny and extremely acidic.  I didn't expect to get butt burn that quickly but I did.  The pressure in my bum was unbearable.  I had two bowels movements that night.  In the morning the surgeon came to see me and was very pleased, as I had done a poo!!!  He said I could be discharged that day, which seemed really quick.  I told the nurses I would wait till the afternoon to make sure everything was ok before going home.  By mid day, the pressure was awful and I was in so much pain.  I laid on my bed with my knees up and managed to pass wind! thank goodness!!  haha.  It was a huge relief but the pain, spasms and fullness was horrid.  By the time my boyfriend came at visiting time I was so tired and emotional.  I was crying and didn't know what to do.  I felt overwhelmed by it all, my brain, my body and my poor bottom didn't know what was going on.  I missed my stoma.  I didn't feel I was emptying my pouch properly, I always felt "the urge".  Needless to say, I stayed the night and left the hospital in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment