Wednesday 11 April 2012

Antibiotics

After a difficult few days and two weeks of sleepless nights I finally called the surgeons office to let them know I was in a LOT of pain.  The secretary has said she will pass on my information and get back to me.  Luckily the lovely Enhanced Recovery Nurse phoned me up that morning to see how I was getting on and could tell I was struggling.  I told her I had made an appointment to see the GP as I was concerned I had some lumps by my bottom.  She is trying to get hold of the surgeons to discuss what is going on with me.  It's good to know I have people who are concerned and who are helping me. 


I went to the nurse yesterday, so she could check my wound and redo my dressing.  I'm usually chirpy and we have a laugh, but she could she I was not in a happy place and offered me sympathy and made an appointment to see the GP.  The wound looks fine, it still hasn't closed yet, but its getting there.   So come the afternoon, I got out of bed and went back to the doctors, which luckily is a little walk away as I don't have anyone near me to help me.  The GP was very nice and looked externally at my bottom.  Once I had told him my rectum had been removed, he did not want to look internally...seems that is out of his remit!  ha ha.  He had a look and says the lumps are cysts and I don't have any signs of hemorrhoids.  He put me on a course of antibiotics in case I have an infection and to hopefully relieve the pain I'm having.  


So I started antibiotics yesterday and last night I managed to sleep from 12 till 6.30am and didn't empty my bowels until 7am.  Which was amazing, a welcome relief.  I then went back to sleep until 11. I have only been to toilet a few more times, and I'm more comfortable and just feel a lot better in general.  It's bizarre how the antibiotics have decreased my bowel movements and it makes me think maybe I have Pouchitis.  I don't think it's a coincidence that being on antibiotics has helped.  So I will keep going, day by day and hopefully I will get on the road to recovery and being happier and healthier.  


L x

No comments:

Post a Comment