Monday 9 May 2011

What you blogging on about?


I would suppose that if my sister is reading this blog, she would squirm at my spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.  However, I’m sure she would quickly forgive all of my literary faults because she would know I had genuine heartfelt reasons for my endeavours.  So what am I blogging on about? 
Well, I didn’t have a lovely doctor who prepared me for the possibility of surgery, what it would entail and how people live with a stoma.  Instead I did all of my research from the comfort of my sofa on my wee laptop, looking at blogs and websites to answer my thousands of questions.   I am so glad I did, my preparations enabled me to deal with my emergency surgery and I believe really aided my recovery.   Knowledge is power and all that!   It’s much easier to research the medical implications than the emotional side of dealing with life without a colon and life with a stoma.  Questions like:  Will my boyfriend still love me, find me attractive? Were on the top of my list, the answer is yes he does.  In fact having a girlfriend who is not constantly in pain and on the loo is definitely preferred.  These are genuine questions a person can have, when the prospect of a stoma is a very real one.  How will I feel with a piece of my intestine poking out of my stomach? Is not a question you can really find in a text book.  So this blog is a hug to all of the UC’ers out there.  Hopefully by sharing a personal insight into how someone actually feels with UC, surgery and life with a stoma, I can help someone. The next phase of my personal journey will be an open book, how I’m feeling, what j-pouch surgery is like, the recovery etc.  Because for a lot of us ex-UC’ers once we have had our colon removed, which is major surgery and one of the toughest things to get through, the prospect of having more surgery seems daunting.  In fact on a daily basis I think to myself that, if I feel so well and actually love having a stoma, why would I want to put myself through more surgery.  But for me, I do feel it’s the natural step however scary it may seem.  At this point I think of my boyfriend who always wants to know what’s around the corner, which can lead to some interesting walks.  In a way that’s what I want, I’m curious to see what life could mean for me as a j-poucer.  So to quote my brother now that I’m spending less time on the bog I can spend more time on my blog and hopefully by doing so I can help someone who is going through the same thing. 
Wishing you all a happy and disease free day J

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly the dilemma I'm facing. I just can't find a good source of information about life after ops 2 and 3.

    Reading your next posts with growing interest.

    ReplyDelete