Friday 6 May 2011

Blog roll

Quilted, embossed, coloured, scented, 1ply, 2ply, recycled, strong, soft, moist, eco-friendly, luxury, standard, cushiony, ultra-cuddly! I know the last one stumped me too.  These words are all used to promote the common bog roll, toilet paper, dunny roll, loo paper, bum tissue whatever you want to call it.  The reason for this post is today’s revelation, I live in a household which currently has one spare loo roll.  This would never have happened when I had UC, as I would generally have a whole cupboard filled with the stuff.  Is this life as an ostomate? Wow I love it.  Ok, so it’s not much of a big deal, but it really represents something massive for me.  It highlights the fact that after a two year long flare up, I am no longer on the loo 24/7.  
There is much debate within the UC community, for and against surgery and it really is a personal question that only one person can answer, you.  For me, I had to have surgery, it was a must and I’m so glad I did.  The only regret I have is that I didn’t have it sooner and as a planned elective surgery rather than the emergency situation I had.   I consented to surgery and 18 hours later I was in theatre.  I spent most of those 18 hours, in absolute agony and running backwards and forwards to the toilet, whilst negotiating the drip stands which were plugged into the wall which meant sitting on the loo with my canulated arm stretched out so I could reach the toilet.  It hadn’t even dawned on me that, this night would be the last time I would poo out of my bum for a while or ever.  Believe me, I do not miss it one bit, I completely love my stoma, whom I named Winnie (The Pooh).  In fact one of the first things I said after coming around from my op was “I love my stoma”, and I really do. It has completely saved my life and if I have to have a permanent stoma I will deal with it, and enjoy a fulfilled life with a smile.  
 I am a little apprehensive about j-pouch surgery, but I know there are so many success stories out there that I am going to be positive that I can be one of them. I am seeing my next surgeon in a few weeks, so will keep you posted.  Now, I really should stop blogging and go buy some bog roll!  


L x

1 comment:

  1. I too am living a reduced loo roll lifestyle, and it is a true indicator of happiness.

    My stoma is called Banquo - an unwelcome guest at the table in some ways, but honorable despite his gory appearance. Being a an ostomate is a million times better than living with UC

    ReplyDelete