Tuesday 1 November 2011

Home Sweet Home


Hi,


 Well I'm back home (thank goodness!)
Here’s what happened:

I woke up around 05.30 to get ready and make sure I was up and ready to have my pre-op drinks, these were lemony and not too bad actually.  We arrived at the surgical admissions lounge with about 25 other people, all of us looking worried and tired.   One woman was so loud and obviously very nervous that she was offered a pre op relaxer!! Haha.  We sat down and started to twiddle our thumbs so out came the crochet.  It really has such a calming influence on me, it worked wonders and I managed to crochet a few snowflakes for my Christmas decorations. 

I had my bloods taken by a junior doctor, the nurse took my blood pressure and did a pre op assessment on me.  The anaesthetist came and discussed pain relief etc.  Then a surgeon came to see me, I was very nervous by now and I had not seen him before which unsettled me.  I asked him when I would see the Prof doing my op..he replied that I would be under anaesthetic by the time he was there.  Obviously I hadn’t met this lovely doctor before and he hadn’t met me, because I shocked him...I said “I’m sorry but I will not be having any anaesthetic until I have seen his face!!!!” I really don’t mean to be difficult but I was so nervous and wanted to make sure that the Prof and no one else would do my j pouch.  The lovely doctor got on the phone and the Prof arrived.  I was happy.  We went through everything, and I made sure he realised that I really only trusted that only He was the man for the job.  I mumbled neurotically and blurted out, “but, I will have a baby wont I?” to which he replied “Not today”.  We all laughed! Obviously having complex pelvic surgery may have implications on my fertility, one of my biggest fears.  He said that there is always a risk but most j-poucher’s go on to have children.
I went to the toilet one last time and had a look at Winnie, I was actually talking to her in the toilet! Mad I know but that’s what I did.  I was called to get changed into my sexy gown and even more attractive stockings! My boyfriend and I walked down to theatres, once at the door we had a farewell cuddle.  I then had to sit near the theatre for about 45 miniutes, which was stupid really, but I was so tired by this time I shut my eyes and tried to relax.

Once in the anaesthetic room I was chatting away and we were even having a laugh.  I had one last look at Winnie and told her I loved her.  I wasn’t nervous at this point at all, I was actually looking forward to a good sleep! Haha
My surgery went very well and lasted about 4 hours (I think?) I had a long sleep and didn’t wake up until I was in the recovery room.  I was hooked up to a PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) and then moved to the ward.  Where my lovely boyfriend came and soothed me, I was feeling quite panicky because I felt like I couldn’t breathe properly, apparently I was having only 7 resps per min.  This eventually got better.  He stayed with me for as long as possible and I spent most of the night asleep. 

My second night after surgery I woke up because, my bottom had leaked mucous all over me! I got cleaned up and the nurse changed my bed and came back with a nappy for me to wear!  I know the drill by now. I couldn't feel anything until it was already out of my bottom but after a few days, I got some feeling back and could feel when my pouch felt full and I always managed to get to the toilet and relax my muscles and then empty my bottom.  I am so chuffed that even at this early stage I have good control over my new and improved plumbing.

My recovery was going very well until my bowels got very sluggish and stopped one night, which was excruciating.  I was vomiting whilist holding onto my stomach for dear life, ouch! I was given an injection of anti sickness and my bowels eventually kicked back in a few hours later. 

My stoma nurses were once again fabulous and very supportive.  The loop illeostomy is completely different and my stoma nurse suggested a name! Which is ingenious and will be revealed soon.

I didn’t manage to eat much at all during my hospital stay, mash potatoes and cuppa soup being the firm favourites.  I drank as much peppermint water as they would let me have, it really is a god send and soothed my angry bowels.  It felt like a hug in a mug. 

I felt very emotional at times, and when the curtains were drawn around my bay I would have a cry to myself.  I was caught one day, mid tears by my Enhanced Recovery Nurse, she was so lovely and supported me.  It’s only natural to be tearful after this sort of operation, it also bought back a lot of painful memories of the last time I was in hospital for my emergency colectomy. 

I tried my best to keep my sluggish bowels going by nibbling food and drinking and walking around the ward like some mad woman.  Walking although hard work and painful really helped to keep the bowels moving.  I was more than happy when my stoma made loud noises because it meant they were working.

I got home 9 days after my operation and getting into my own bed was absolutely blissful.  I had cuddles and hot water bottles and my bedroom was so dark and peaceful compared to the hospital.  I wept and wept with sheer relief.
Love L x

No comments:

Post a Comment